Ubuntu stuck at /dev/sda3:clean message

 




Introduction to the error 

As soon as I came home I turned on my Ubuntu machine.  The boot process didn't take place in a normal way.  A text interface showed up and it got stuck. No Desktop environment. No shell.

dev/sda3: clean, 552599/6111232 files, 7119295/24414464 blocks


Suggestions for the problem on the forums


Never having encountered such an error during my experience with Ubuntu, I started searching for a solution. Someone suggested entering the GRUB and performing a fix on the hard disk with the command-line tool fsck.


Unfortunately, the tool wasn't available. Although I managed to enter the GRUB interface. 


Someone else suggested booting Ubuntu in live mode through some type of media and performing the fix from there. I managed to create a fresh bootable flash drive with Ubuntu loaded, but no results.

The following command didn't fix it for me.


fsck -l /


Others suggested removing the entire Nvidia files. It didn't fix the problem.


The fix 


After hours of frustration and continuous research, I managed to operate my Ubuntu machine from the command-line interface.

 
Pressing the following keys provided me Ubuntu in CLI mode.


CTRL + ALT + F1 + F2



From there I installed tasksel.

sudo apt-get install tasksel


With the help of tasksel, I installed the ubuntu-desktop package.


sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop


I rebooted my machine and the login showed up. 

reboot


Final thoughts


When it seems and feels impossible, it's the time to push it to the limits. I didn't stop. Although more than five hours went without a fix, I continued researching and trying. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.